Louis

Thanks for forwarding the Pilger article. I have great respect for John
Pilger and all that he has done in campaigning not only for East Timor, but
on behalf of the Australian aborigines and Cambodians, among many others. If
only there were more like him.

He may be correct about the motives governing the Western (primarily
Australian) response to the situation there. However, there is another case
which would suggest that because of the increasingly belligerent
anti-Westernism among elements of the ruling clique (ironic as that is,
given the West's role in propping them up, even now), East Timor provides a
useful pretext whereby a segment of "Indonesian" territory remains under
Western influence. The West can also claim to lend moral support to other
oppressed minorities in Indonesia's presently fractious state, East Timor
being the precedent for further intervention, should the "need" arise. Given
Indonesia's former status as bulwark against the communist north, there is
clearly a "security issue" arising from such instability. There is also the
East Timor Gap Treaty assigning oil exploration and extraction rights to
protect.

Whether or not East Timor ends up like another Haiti, or just simply yet
another pawn in the great game of global capitalism, there is also the
indisputable fact of the wanton slaughter of its population by the
occupiers, and the illegality of that occupation. East Timor was a newly
independent, sovereign state when invaded. The invasion violated all
relevant aspects of the UN Charter. The UN should have been there in 1975. I
support the UN's presence there now, and it is up to people like us to
ensure that those countries sponsoring the intervention are pressured into a
following a genuinely humanitarian course of action rather than a cynical
exercise in dividing spoils. (Just getting my government to stop delivering
fighter aircraft is proving difficult.) This I would consider as agreeing
with your recommendation that the "radical movement should do everything in
its power to assist East Timorese self-determination." Concrete slogans
alone are of little help to the East Timorese.  But I do believe that partly
motivating Western support for this UN initiative is the wider exposure of
both the atrocities and Western complicity in these. Our governments are
more sensitive now, than ever before during the last 24 years, to charges of
appeasement, complicity, culpability, duplicity, racism, etc. Witness Robin
Cook's pathetic performance, mentioned by Pilger. And it is a blessing,
however unintended, that the US is so up to its neck in the detritus arising
from this matter that it has not taken "leadership", which would have
immediately discredited the entire exercise, given the undoubtedly
inadequate handling of the situation that would follow.

Pilger is absolutely correct to expose the less than humanitarian rationale
behind our governments' actions. That such motives exist is little excuse
for not saving the lives of helpless people - after all, their suffering and
slaughter is what makes us angry, isn't it? Or is death to be their only
liberation?

Michael