>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 08/03/00 02:31PM >>>
We've had this conversation before. One way of summarizing my take on this
is that "dialectical materialism" has some unfortunate baggage which can be
avoided by reconsidering the issues under a new rubric.

______________

CB: I find a lot of conversations repeat on e-mail lists. :>)

Of course, my take is that some of the new rubrics may not be able to get away from
dialectial materialism like they think they can, because objective reality doesn't
change because of different rubrics or approaches or terminologies.  What some term
"unfortunate baggage" may be a necessary consequence of recognizing that there is
objective reality , struggling with objective reality as it really is, struggle ,
trial and error as inherent to a "scientific" in contrast with a  utiopian approach,
etc.

 One source is Tony
Lawson's article on critical realism in volume I of Phil O'Hara's
ENCYCLOPEDIA OF POLITICAL ECONOMY.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine