In Olympia, WA where I live by joining up with the local currency system you
get four Sound Hours = $40. One sound hour = $10).  There are many services and
stores that accept sound hours as either partial or full payment for goods and
services. For example, at the local food coop, you can pay up to half of your
bill in sound hours, the rest must be paid in dollars. Some services except
Sound hours, eg. gardening, baby sitting, etc.

These are some questions people have asked me about local currencies and i am
interested in comments on them by other members of Pen-L.

1) To what extent do local currencies  increase employment, income, economic
activity  within the community where they are used?

2) Do they and can they spur local business activity by decreasing economic
leakages out of the community.

3) Under what circumastances are local currencies likely to be inflationary;
or  have no overall macroeconomic impact but just substitute for dolllars?

4) Can they be effective in communities with high unemployment rates in
reducing unemployment, raising incomes of low income members of the community?

5) What is key in organizing local currencies sothat they further income
equality, employment, local production?

Thanks, Peter Bohmer