En relación a [PEN-L:1395] Re: Re: Re: Australia,
el 8 Sep 00, a las 1:29, Rob Schaap dijo:

> G'day Nestor,

> >  In their attempt to keep our betters at the Bank of
> England happey, Australia's Scullin government agreed to give Otto
> free reign over 'our' finances in June of 1930.  The bastard Niemeyer
> then helped the bastard Scullin reappoint the head bastard of the
> Commonwealth Bank Board, Gibson (who duly went on to refuse short-term
> funds to all states who would not slash public works).  In late August
> the bastard Niemeyer lent Scullin's bastard Tories support in their
> (tediouisly predictable) claim that Australia's workers had been
> enjoying too high a living standard, prescribing 20% cuts in wages and
> pensions and the cessation of 'unreproductive' public works.

Gallipoli, Gallipoli...

I did not know you had had the luck to accept Sir Otto's
recomendations yourselves (all those "bastards" you have inserted, by
the way, tend to prove that Sirs and Dames were quite a promiscuous
bunch, didn't they?). But Argentina didn't accept Sir Otto's Central
Bank only (I would anyway like to compare the financial rulings in
Australia and Argentina by the same time, and I will try to find
something to send to the list). Since we were excluded from the
Commonwealth by the Ottawa Agreements, a host of colonial rulings on
every realm of economy was imposed on a never too wealthy population.
The most minute details were considered. Just as an example: since
the British owned railroads had seen mounting competition from motor
trucks and motor buses in the city of Buenos Aires, a law was passed
under the pompous name of "Transport Coordination Act" which, in sum,
expropriated the petty bourgeois owners of the buses and trucks, and
turned them into employees of the railroad companies. This law was
not carried to full effect due to popular resistence, but it gives a
smack of the ways the Gentlemen in London behaved towards Argentina.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
[EMAIL PROTECTED]