I was writing in response to what Gene Coyle mentioned: the anemic rate of growth.
I was merely suggesting that if the fall in unemployment has been so modest -- in
terms of rate of change rather than the absolute value -- over such a long
expansion, than a sharp downward turn could create massive unemployment.

In one sense, Doug, I agree with you.  I am very surprised that the expansion has
gone on as long as it has.  It cries out for an explanation -- and the list has
been addressing that question recently.

I think that it is even more important to understand what is unfolding than what
has happened.

With regards to unemployment, I have mentioned several times over the years, that I
think in terms of an "effective" rate of unemployment, in which I subjectively -- I
would have no idea how to actually measure it -- correct for the quality of jobs.
That is, if a well-paid steel worker has to begin to flip burgers, unemployment is
unchanged, but ....

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department