Doug, as one of the dour lefties on the list, I would mostly agree with you
but still ...

Couldn't we just as well ask how an 8 year expansion could have done so
little ....

Your note about the improbability of the expansion with the growing surplus
is worthy of note, but I think we have some idea about what replaced
government demand and why a continuation is not sustainable.

Also, the more secure job part still seems suspect.  Do you have much to go
on beside the Stephanie Schmit (sp?) paper?  Do you have a URL for the
paper?  High tech producers in Cal. are rife with examples of workers being
fired and then rehired as temp workers, albeit with a degree of job security.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department