>None of this requires assuming the population were dupes or fantasists.  In
>fact, it assumes that their basic motivation is to reject Milsoevic who
>tried to dupe and manipulate them.   The West may have threatened and bomb
>them, but in the end the population may have decided that was less of an
>affront to their dignity than what Milosevic did to them.
>
>-- Nathan Newman

We'll never know. The crusade against Yugoslavia began more than 10 years
ago and it has been tremendously costly to the morale of the people. What
we do know is that Milosevic, or somebody close to him politically, would
have remained in power if the west had not decided to destroy the only
state in Eastern Europe that had resisted the will of the IMF and Nato.
Cheering the downfall of Milosevic is tantamount to cheering for Nato and
the IMF.

Louis Proyect