----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Devine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

-Nathan wrote: >... when a people democratically support atrocities by their
-government, it is  not just the leadership that bears responsibility but
-the people themselves.<

>this sounds as if you are advocating the strategic bombing of the US,
>Nathan. After all, we voted Bill "mad bomber" Clinton into office.

Actually, as I've said before, I think many forms of terrorism are
justified, including some that has been aimed at the US and its citizens.
The idea that only military targets are allowed in warfare is actually most
convenient for those with overwhelming military force and well-protected
civilian populations - ie. the US.

As Ken notes, of course such responsibility is complicated, but then it is
complicated whether an 18-year old draftee deserves to die in any war.  And
it is complicated because in any democratic situation, there are many people
who oppose the policy of the state, even if they lack the majoriity power to
block those actions.

Contra many folks, though, I think the US's collective guilt has far less to
do with its particular military actions, some of which like Kosovo and Haiti
I can defend, but in its collective enforcement of a global economic system
that starves millions of people each years throughout the world, while
denying needed medicine to millions more.

-- Nathan Newman