At 02:39 PM 10/20/00 -0500, you wrote:
>How come economists such as Milton Friedman are constantly criticizing
>existing economies throughout the world for over-regulation, rent controls,
>minimum wages, most welfare programs, etc.etc. if what exists is efficient?
>His criticism is often that present economies are not efficient and he has a
>whole kitbag of  "reforms" to make economies more efficient.

The efficient existence is on a different plane than mere mortals such as
ourselves can perceive directly. In the phenomenal world, there is the
underlying reality -- the ideal forms in the mind of the prophets Smith and
Walras, expressing the true nature of the Invisible Hand that works as a
matter of Natural Law -- but that differs from the appearance, which is
merely distorted shadows of the true reality that are projected on the cave
wall. The efficiency that exists -- i.e., the existence that's efficient --
is hidden and corrupted by the unholy influence of the government and
collective efforts to further their special interests outside or against
the Market. We need the help of the philosopher-kings such as Milton
Friedman and the Guardians at the International Monetary Fund to lead us to
the Promised Land.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine