Rather than using dueling quotations, perhaps Louis for some of the
other heavy hitters in this debate should tell us what is so important.
To me, it sounds sort of dogmatic to rule out either the importance of
slavery or of internal social relations within Britain.  Perhaps it
would be similar to debating whether Clinton/Gore is a tool of the
pharmaceutical industry or Hollywood.  One can find obvious instances of
both sources of influence.

One other consideration: I don't think that Wood, Brenner, Dobb, or
Sweezy should be treated as a villain.  It is possible to disagree with
somebody's ideas without having to denounce them.

We're not judges at a tribunal having to decide ultimate truths.  We
just here to try to learn about the world in order, as Marx said, to
change it, and maybe to have some fun in the process.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321