[was: Re: [PEN-L:6153] RE: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:
Re:  analytical philosophy]

Ian writes:
>Your use of quotes gives you away, Jim. There have yet to be created,
>amongst pragmatists and other schools, transhistorical, immediately given,
>criteria for establishing knowledge claims. There is a long history of
>argument about issues in the topics you list above but don't expect
>agreement anytime soon.

I wasn't expecting any agreement.

Ian writes:
>Ad infinitum with the permanent possibility of dissensus. Disagreement as
>a badge of honor...politics.

yup. meta-economics reveals ideology.

Ian writes:
>Better yet, shut down the law schools too. They have no special "insight"
>into knowledge nor are they more virtuous than the rest of us. So why the
>fuck we let them tell us how to live while they wear black [lovers of
>death and power, them judges]. ...

It would be nice to get rid of judges and lawyers. However, that doesn't
seem feasible. At least in class society, they're inevitable, like death &
taxes.

Ian writes:
>...interpretationS. Just look at the interminable debate over the
>Copenhagen interpretation of quantum theory. No sign of epistemic finality
>on the horizon there. Multiply that type of intellectual controversy times
>100,000 and you have "actually existing civilization".

I was using "interpretation" as a verb, which could be plural or singular.

Ian writes:
>Well, "where" do they get their grist for re-flection?

from Marx, though Gould seems to have moved away (and was never as close as
Lewontin has been).

On this issue, I don't think Ian and I disagree.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine