-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Eugene Coyle
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2000 3:26 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEN-L:6578] Re: Energy deregulation

Neither of these are conservative "analyses" of the California energy
crisis.  Each is an off-the-top-of-the-head rant that could be written by
any
right-leaning neophyte.

    For a REALLY conservative analysis see the work of Univ. of Chicago
economist Lester Telser.  I quite agree with his analysis that electric
power
must be regulated or publically-owned, otherwise cooperation (collusion)
among the producers is required for efficiency.  See my paper for extensive
quotes and citations.  And Professor Telser was kind enough to tell me that
had gotten him correctly.

    Gene Coyle