It is true that a significant part of California's "electricity shortage" can be
traced to three years of below average rainfall in Washington and Oregon.  For
decades power has been traded seasonally -- shipped south in the summer, north in
the winter.  But there is less to come south because of the lack of water behind
the dams.  Plus the new emphasis on saving Salmon, which calls for water by-passing
the turbines and thus not generating electricity.  And it is true that other states
have increased electricity consumption faster than Calif in the 90s.
    The deregulation in California was driven (at the political level) by 5 out of
5 Republican PUC commissioners, and then signed and sealed in the Republican
governor's office -- Pete Wilson.  But the Dems in the legislature were aggressive
in supporting deregulation as well.

Gene Coyle