I might add that a good proportion of Malaylis who work abroad are not
highly educated, especially many Muslims from Kerala working in the Middle
East.  OTOH Malaylis are on the average better educated than most other
Indian ethnic groups.  One could hypothesize that the low growth in Kerala
has been precisely due to those political forces (the CPM and the general
left politics) that promoted a more a egalitarian development.  But also
note the lack of direct British rule in the region and the matrilineal
society that is part of the southern region as important historical
factors, in addition to the not so great agriculture (limited land with
the beautiful western ghats (banks), tropical forests, and a long
coastline.

Cheers, Anthony

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anthony P. D'Costa
Associate Professor                             Ph: (253) 692-4462
Comparative International Development           Fax: (253) 692-5718
University of Washington                        Box Number: 358436
1900 Commerce Street
Tacoma, WA 98402, USA