.. you can start reading the story of Iraq from
around 1890 if you want- the Ottoman/Persian wars in
which a third of the iraqi population perished, see
Lotsky, the history of modern arab states. under
british control, from 1919 until 1958, Iraq ranked
extremely low in terms of development and income
distribution, the genie coefficient was probably the
highest in the world. In the seventies you've had
turkey and Iran both American anti-soviet satelites of
the first order closing in on iraq; but you also had
huge human developments in iraq, literacy, women- a
crucial issue for the development of the arab world,
and better income distribution. at the same time as
well, you had internal strife principally a civil war
sponsored by America via the shah in the north.
afterwards came the Algiers treaty of 1975, which
principally meant capitulation for Iraq- it lost the
war in the north.  THERE SHOULD BE A MORE CAREFUL
READING OF HISTORY ESPECIALLY IN THE MIDDLE EAST. one
cannot say the seventies and eighties like that. in
any case, the typical colonial design which allowed
the USA to replace Britain in the gulf failed in Iraq.
take it from here. no one said the middle east is
easy.