> Date:          Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:34:03 -0800
> From:          Peter Dorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I appreciate the spirit behind Bello's piece (as exerpted here), but, stripped to
> its elements, it strikes me as much too reformist.  It hearkens back to the pre-1982
> dispensation as a sort-of golden age, and it presents as its agenda all those
> progressive things that governments were supposed to do back then but generally
> didn't or at least not very well.  Its call to dismantle the TNC seems to be hedged
> by support for nationally-based private corporations that are supposedly more
> responsive, and it seeks no discernable management over the global trading system.

Comrade Peter, would this perhaps have something to do with the
balance of forces? You want Zoellick/Barchefsky or O'Neill/Summers to
manage int'l trade/finance more than they do now? That's the
implication of continuing to promote the world-state-building
project, I fear. Or, as you've pointed out so eloquently, even where
eco-regulation is vital at the global scale, we get Kyoto emissions
trading that just makes matters worse...