Yeah, but Physicians Assistants make more, on average, than nurses and can go
into practice for themselves.  Also, at least for women, PAs often provide
better care than MDs -- for ex., PAs are midwives and provide routine
gynecological care.  I went to a PA for years instead of a gyno, and she
pulled me through a couple of problems the gynos couldn't identify.  Also, PAs
are frequently trained in abortion and can provide services in a doctors
office in many places where there are absolutely no other service providers
available. maggie coleman