I think Brad is wrong here.  The rise in tuition fees in the US
(relative to those in Canada) has been credited with restricting the
supply of graduates thereby increasing the college/non-college
differential in the US.  For reasons we all teach in labour
economics courses, tuition fees discriminate against those who
come from lower income families.

Over 30 years ago I wrote a paper calling for zero fees and an
income based surtax for people who have taken a university degree
such that there is a tax on the college based income differential
sufficient to pay the public cost (net of the social gain).  Thus, a
graduate of a business school who makes a very high income
would pay a much higher tuition fee than a poor philosophy
graduate.  However, no one has seen fit to follow my suggestion
that I am aware of.

Paul Phillips,
Economics,
University of Manitoba