I see to dimensions to Brad's question.  Is higher education late sorting
mechanism or does it add to social productivity?  If free higher education would
offer a wage premium to workers and if it added to social productivity, wouldn't
it makes sense to promote education and then to tax the returns?

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department