>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/26/01 05:23PM >>>

> I am very much against the trend around these lists to disdain any
conspiracy theories on today's politics. The ruling class had a conscious
policy to make Reagan look good. No more Watergates ! was the discipline of
the ruling class at the time.

> On the monopoly media methods, see Michael Parenti's _Inventing Reality_
>

> Charles Brown
*************

Well we need to have some rather stringent criteria whereby we sort
deliberation and strategizing by the ruling class to achieve and reproduce
their hegemony from trying to see patterns of intentionality that just ain't
there. Problematic to say the least...

(((((((((

CB: Nobody said revolutionary struggle and thinking things out is easy, but I agree we
need the stringent criteria. On the other hand, because the criteria must be stringent
doesn't mean the left can take the easy route, fall out of touch with realiity into a
never-never land that sees no conspiracies in the operation of capitalism.

I mean Marxism certainly  holds that capitalism is a system , not a policy, but that
doesn't mean there aren't conspiracies that we must point out in demonstrating the
rottenness of the way things work. Many people first come to the struggle because they
are fed up with a specific outrage, such as the CIA running drugs in LA or J. Edgar
Hoover murdering Black Panthers or JFK Or lying conspiracies in the operation of the
Viet Nam war, etc. To ignore these and not be ready to explicate them or whatever
doesn't make any sense.

I see the problem of forfeiting the responsibility to sort out patterns of
intentionality that are there as a much bigger problem than claiming patterns of
intentionality that are not there.