> One major difference between wheat and rice is that the later tends to
> grow in a system of polyculture.  Along with the rice, fish or ducks
> and sometimes even pigs are grown.  Comparing grain yields can be
> misleading.

That is a major difference as I take that term to mean
multicropping. Yields can be compared and the results are that
China had far higher yields per area than Europe at the expense of
higher inputs of labor but offering employment to its growing
population and generating comparable living standards right until
1800. But I think my name has popped out too many times in this
list last few days.