On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 02:28:27PM -0700, Jim Devine wrote:

> 3. If it's really easy to set up one's own farm, as for awhile in the 19th
> century in the US, then workers won't put up with proletarianization (so
> that in-migration needs to be encouraged).  Etc.

Danhof, Clarence. 1941. "Farm Making Costs and the 'Safety Valve.'"
Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 49, No. 3 (June): pp. 217-59 emphasized
that the farm making costs were high.

> We've gone through this before. Perhaps Michael will tell us not to
> continue the current thread.

Are people seeing anything new here?  I don't think that I have.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321