(posted to the Marxism list in response to my post on Rappaport's ATC article)

Not that this is news or anything, but, in my searches for FARC news
through mainstream media, I regularly come across reports about
'decapitated peasants' and the like. Always attributed to the FARC, while
qualifying that such accusations are 'merely' estimations. These stories
invariably receive no follow-up whatsoever. They're simply dropped, never
confirming the original estimations, and reiterated afresh...

Speaking personally, I believe that harsh struggles bring harsh
revolutionaries to the fore (all the more necessary) and... there's nothing
intrinsically virtuous about peasants. As Marx pointed out, they are
characterized by their vacillation---thus some fall into the embrace of the
counterrevolutionaries. And later, perhaps, suffer the consequences.

Barry Stoller

Louis Proyect