Yes, according to official bls definitions, institutionalized means mental
institutions, jails, or any place where you might be incarcerated against your
will.  Employment statistics also omit military, students, anyone voluntarily
unemployed (as in retired), and anyone who has not looked for a job in the last
couple of months.  maggie coleman