Am I missing something coded in the language here? Would anyone on this list
expect redistribution to happen without struggle? Those sorts are all on Santa
Claus-L.

And, putting what was a discussion of world living standards and carrying
capacity into terms of class struggle simplifies the question so much that I no
longer understand it. Mark was talking about the material impossibility of the
rest of the world consuming in the manner of the average American. Yoshie
responds with class struggle. I don't see how that addresses the question Mark is
raising. Even allowing that a stronger, organized working class in the US would
lead to better collective services (such as public transport), energy
conservation and sensible land use planning, I can't see it producing a
substantial reduction in automobile or air conditioning use in the near future.
The US is simply another planet (but sadly only in a figurative sense) where
resource use is concerned, and the US working class participates enthusiastically
in that. That's why Kyoto is politically impossible for the US. Don't blame
Dubya: carbon emission increases under Clinton/Gore had already rendered Kyoto
impossible by the time Bush took office.

Fred

--
Frederick Guy
School of Management and Organizational Psychology