Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> *Who else* do you think have the *potential* to become a collective
> historical agent to transform the structures of production,
> distribution, & consumption in an ecologically sustainable direction,
> if not the working class?  Surely not the bourgeoisie.  Nor do
> scientists alarmed by global warming, in isolation from the rest of
> the working class.
>
> I'm not optimistic about anything.  I'm simply saying that there is
> *no* collective historical agent who can even potentially hope to
> become equal to the task *other than* the working class.

I don't see any reason to single out the US working class as having this potential,
other than a theory which says history is a story of class struggles and now it's
the working class's turn. That's not to knock theory, but I don't see any empirical
basis for saying that the theory in question has any predictive power in the US
today, and especially not when it comes to the consumption end of the American Way
of Life. What sort of struggles might happen if and when the American empire
collapses is a bit far into the fried-eggs-on-the-sidewalk future for me.

But I think the list has probably been over this, to judge from a message here from
Carrol (I haven't been following the thread).

Fred