Tom Walker wrote:

> "There is little hope left for an economic recovery in the second    > half of the
>year, the president and chief executive officer told        > employees recently in a
>recorded telephone message."
>
> -- Globe and Mail, July 4, 2001

This seems to have got around, judging by the swoon over at Wall St..

> In 25 words or less, what are Pen-l subscribers doing to respond
> politically to the recession and its eventual effects on employment,
> wages and working conditions?

I think the list should ring around the media outlets and present itself as a
pundit pool.  If this becomes half the mess it could be (ie if the credit
crunch hits), there'll be lotsa media demand for anyone with a PhD in
disagreeing with the suits who talked us into all this.

After all, the neoliberals proved thirty years ago how quickly a well
organised bunch of radical upstarts can scale the heights of conventional
wisdom ... and even if your predictions and prescriptions are empirically
falsified from the off, the punters'll just go right on  believing you - for,
oh, thirty years or so.

Cheers,
Rob.