>Once again, I have to remark on how weird it is that a bunch of
>friends of the working class are getting all excited about the
>prospects for recession, which means the disemployment of millions
>and lower wages for everyone else. Does the ghost of Andrew Mellon
>lurk over PEN-L?
>
>Doug

I think it wouldn't be weird to get excited about the prospects of
recession *if* the leftists in question had (A) a *clear political
strategy* to exploit it and (B) the *organizational wherewithal* to
make the strategy real, not utopian.  The same should be said about
getting all worked up about the prospects of declining oil reserves,
progress of globalization (aka free-trade Empire), oil deals for East
Timor, anything.  Minus A & B, getting turned on by any prospect,
major or minor, is just an act of political voyeurism.

Yoshie