--Please Forward--

                          CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS:
                  THE GRASSROOTS CLIMATE EDUCATION PROJECT
                          *** OCTOBER 5--7, 2001***

The Green House Network (www.greenhousenet.org), a non-profit group
dedicated to public education about the need for urgent action to
reduce greenhouse gas emissions, is seeking individuals from across the
United States who wish to participate in our Grassroots Climate
Education Project.

Over the weekend of October 5-7th, 2001, we will be holding a training
session in Portland, Oregon, for 25 people interested in joining our
national speakers bureau; over the last 18 months, our volunteers have
given over 300 public presentations about the need for urgent action to
address global warming. In exchange for the training, each individual
will commit to:

1) Give at least 5 speeches on campuses or other community venues in
their region 2) Arrange a meeting with regional political leader to
discuss climate policy

At each of the 5 presentations, speakers will invite audience members
to join them when they visit their political representative.

Presentations by our speaker's network are set up, coordinated and
publicized by Green House Network staff.  Thus, the commitment on the
part of the speakers is limited to the actual delivery of 5
presentations over the course of Fall-Spring 2001-2002, and the meeting
with a regional politician.

** Travel, food and housing expenses for the workshop will be paid. **

KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Honorable Claudine Schneider Former member of the US
House of Representatives (R-RI), and author, in 1988, of the first
global warming legislation to be considered by the U.S. government.

There is a $50 registration fee.

Participants should have an initial broad familiarity with the global
warming issue. The workshop will provide more detailed scientific,
political and economic information, assistance in the preparation of an
effective 30-minute presentation, and information on how to set up
meetings with politicians.  Past participants have included college
professors, scientists, artists, engineers, clergy members, nurses,
architects, and graduate students.

TO APPLY:

Send an application by US mail to:

The Green House Network
PMB 154
16869 SW 65th Ave
Lake Oswego, OR 97035

The application should include:

1) A brief letter stating the reason for your interest, as well as any
experience you have had in public speaking or organizing.

2) A curriculum vitae.

3) Five campuses (or other venues) in your region where a global
warming presentation would have the biggest impact.

4) An e-mail address for follow-up correspondence.

The closing date for applications is August 5th, 2001.

For more information about the Grassroots Climate Education Project,
and the Green House Network, please visit our web site at
http://www.greenhousenet.org, or call 503-639-0600.

Eban Goodstein
Associate Professor, Economics
Lewis and Clark College