The Vietnam fiasco and the decison to float the
dollar in 1973 was certainly seen at the time as
the twilight of US hegemony.  But I agree with
Yoshie that we have to start thinking of the
ruling class as global rather than national, so
the old nation-state measures may not apply.
The world is different in ways that I think we
don't fully understand.   Has anybody
read this new book "Empire"?  If so, does
it offer any insights?

                                        Ellen