Gavin Wright and Richard Nelson have written eloquently about how the US was
not particularly rich in natural resources.  Instead, the nation embarked on a
massive quest for mineral resources, backed by government and the
universities.  Once all the resources were discovered, the nation was declared
to be rich in resources.

Gene said that some new discoveries may be on the horizon, but that does not
indicate that other discoveries are waiting in the more distant future.

The only prediction that we can confidently make is that we are depleting the
existing reserves.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department