From: Gar Lipow [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 11:47 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEN-L:16442] Re: RE: Re: Income Inequality and Health

I can suggest some stories.

One is aggressiveness of treatment. With very serious illness, there are
often broad choices within acceptable medical practice. A lot of the
judgments involved are explicitly social ones. For example, take two
people needing a transplant, same age, same basic health, same income,
same insurance -- one a member of the socially constructed group
"black", the other a member of the socially constructed group "white".
One factor in deciding who gets the priority is the medical judgment as
to who will follow post-operation instructions better. Who will take
their medicine as scheduled? Who will stick to the diet/rest/excercise
regimen prescribed? I don't have them in front of me; but I have seen
statistics that the doctors will overwhelmingly make the subjective
judgment that the "white" is more likely to comply.

Similarly, when allocating scarce memdical care (like transplants) an
important judgement is "who is most likely to die anyway". Given equal
income, equal objective measures of health, but different "races" -
guess who is judged the more hopeless case.

Note that this is in ADDITION to the pre-existing health, and income
dimensions. For example in transplants, normal insurance (if it covers
transplants at all) will get you on a single waiting list covering some
fraction the avaiable organs. If you are rich you can buy your way onto
all the lists (at a cost of about 10,000 per list) and thus have a much
better shot at receiving the transplant.  But the above examples are for
people on the SAME list.

Umm - this is of course U.S. specific. Most industrialized systems don't
have quite as crazy a health care system.