Ian writes:

>"Dr. Arrow, Dr. Arrow, you're wanted in intensive care........The voters
>can't agree...Dr. Arrow"

You'll note that in his book _Social Choice and Individual Values_, Kenneth
Arrow pointed to similar problems for all other methods of social
decision-making. It's not just with voting.

Further, democracy is not just majority voting. It refers to a system of
majority rule _and_ minority rights.

Ian, what's your alternative to democracy as the main political principle?

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine