Hello All, Rob Schaap writes,

Rob:
Sometimes I think lefties help produce offensive terms, though.  One example
is the word 'Abo'.  Now Australians shorten every word they can, so in
itself 'Abo' need not have caused offence (I'm not saying it didn't - I
can't know - but I'm trying on an idea) but the first time *I* heard of its
potential to offend was from the white left.  I remember that, because I
thought it peculiar at the time that this particular abbreviation was bad,
but all the others were okay.  Anyway, according to my experience of the
process, once the world was told it was offensive, it naturally became
offensive, and to use the term now would indeed be obnoxious.  I suppose
what we, who so carefully avoid this abbreviation in a milieu built on
abbreviations, get out of this is the feeling we are expressing our moral
superiority over others (we do love to do that, if lefty mailing lists are
any guide).  Alas, I doubt Aboriginees are the slightest better off for the
production of yet one more hurtful tag ...

Cheers, Rob.

Doyle
In any meaningful sense, language constantly drifts and changes.  Rob's
comment is not precisely about the common experience of changing word
content (either pejorative or otherwise), but in the phenomenon of conflict
between social groups (as often experienced by individuals in the moment).
One of the peculiarities of Eurocentric history is how dictionaries freeze
the meaning of words into a precise definition at a particular moment.  The
dictionary suggests that speech acts are precise in the sense of writing
down meaning actually implies.   A dictionary elevates the tool of writing
at the expense of the fluidity of human cognition.  The fluidity of human
cognition is reflected in how emotions shift from time span to time span.

Having said that, that leaves little clarity about what it is one might be
talking about if one takes seriously what Rob is saying.  That is what are
we really talking about in terms of human conflict where we consider word
production?  Rob is asking if there is some way to avoid creating new
pejoratives out of concern not so much with word meaning shifting, but with
respect to creating hatred where there wasn't any before.

The primary issue is of course when someone says something hateful to one
that in that moment we have remedy.  Let's take the phrase, "fuck you", when
written down, the phrasing is certainly immortal, but what does the phrase
mean?  Really it is a label at that moment of one persons emotional
intensity versus another person (who may may not share emotional intensity).
It usually does not mean I want to have sex with you since I disagree with
you.   It really signifies that when I have sex with you against my will
that is a very intense form of disagreement (alluding to rape).  Such
intensity varies with time in every human being so that feelings cool down
from the moment of intensity.  When written down, the phrase, "fuck you",
lasts indefinitely as words anyone can read from that moment onward.  We
know that language drifts, and that one could reasonably expect that "fuck
you" won't mean the same thing to people one hundred years from now.  But
what people will grasp is that at one moment between two people they
intensely disagreed.

To understand this in some sort of meaningful way, we have to switch away
from a focus upon words and see that conflict comes from working together in
collaboration.  And keeping to the context that Rob puts forward, to
knowledge work and knowledge production concerning words.  That we
understand when we work together, that many things are contingent as well as
recognize feelings shift in time.  For example, watch out the heavy object
over your head is about to fall!  My intensity conflicts with your focus of
attention.  We are rapidly negotiating the life process together in order
for you to avoid injury.  And the feelings are appropriate to the moment not
to lasting anxiety over centuries.

The economic meaning of this is important now not so much to address Rob's
concern about producing pejoratives, but working together via electronic
communication.  Most English literate people are familiar with the litany of
complaints one might have with miss communication through email, letters to
the editor, book reviews, and so on.  None of which has the demand upon it
of real time collaborative work processes.  Some gauge in information
technology is worthwhile to consider;

http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/research/projects/how-much-info/summary.html

>From the first page of this web site at UC Berkeley School of Information
Management Systems estimates that one to two exabytes (10 to the 18th power,
or one billion gigabytes) of data is produced per year world wide,
distributed evenly across the world population would equal roughly 250
megabytes per person (though we know that sort of information is
concentrated in the developed countries).  To organize and use practically
such quantities of information which will grow substantially one must
consider such issues of how we feel about the information we take in.  In
research the usual way to phrase that is are we happy with our computer
today?  But literally in real time can we work collaboratively through
electronic channels?
thanks,
Doyle Saylor