>This is a very relevant question for New Zealand. Our textile, clothing and
>footwear (TCF) industry has been reduced from 40,000 to 20,000 workers over a
>decade, largely as a result of tariff cuts. Many of the remainder
>are at risk of
>being sacrificed to a FTA currently being negotiated with Hong Kong. This is
>jobs issue, but more than that: most of those employed are women, Maori and
>Pacific Islanders, and people in small provincial towns, for whom there is
>little hope of other employment (leave alone relatively skilled employment)
>if/when the TCF manufacturers close down.
>
>On the other hand the unions representing those workers - among them one the
>best organising unions in the country - recognise the significance of TCF to
>developing countries, and maintain strong relationships with
>representatives of
>workers in many of those countries. So their advocacy of continued tariff
>protection is not one-eyed. (Incidentally, TCF tariffs are for practical
>purposes about the only remaining tariffs New Zealand has.)
>
>What would a progressive strategy be?

Protecting a severely uncompetitive industry must cost money.  Can't
you abolish tariffs on textile, clothing, and footwear and spend the
saving on education, income maintenance, & job creation for displaced
workers?  If the saving is not enough, you can cut foreign aid also.
--
Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus:
<http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>
* Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html>
* Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>