Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Protecting a severely uncompetitive industry must cost money.

If you mean it costs the government money - not in the short run anyway. On the
contrary, it provides a few hundred million dollars in tariff income, plus
income taxes and the like. The standard trade analysis says it costs consumers
money (assuming retailers will reduce prices when tariffs are cut), but ignores
workers' loss of income if their jobs go and they can't find other work at
similar pay. In the long run, IF there were more productive industry that could
replace it, then there is an opportunity cost in maintaining TCF, but that is
the crucial "if" which we are debating when we debate trade theory, isn't it?

> Can't
> you abolish tariffs on textile, clothing, and footwear and spend the
> saving on education, income maintenance, & job creation for displaced
> workers?  If the saving is not enough, you can cut foreign aid also.

There are large amounts spent on education, income maintenance, and job creation
for displaced workers (there could always be more of course), but it doesn't
create sufficient permanent jobs, even less does it create well paying ones in
the right regions.

That's why I suggest that to be serious about removing protection from TCF,
there has to be a conscious industrial development policy to suitably replace
those industries.

On the other hand, there is no assurance that sufficient industry will survive
without protection to provide enough jobs, so somehow decisions have to be made
on what mix of industry should be maintained (and how to maintain it) to create
full employment.

Bill