It is interesting that this article leaves to the very end what are
precisely the reasons why Duhalde will probably not make it till 2003:

He was Menem's vice president (yes, the Menem who liberalized the economy,
gave away state enterprises--even revenue generating ones, and basically is
responsible for Argentina's fate today).

As governor of the province of Buenos Aires  he is alleged to have
participated in any number of corruption scams.

Before that, as the mayor of Lomas de Zamora he was also alleged to have
been involved in a number of scams.

During his speech last night he promised to "comply with internal AND
external obligations" (my emphasis). Not quite sure what this means
vis-a-vis the IMF and the debt, but default certainly wasn't a feature of
his talk.

Finally, he said his doctrine would be the "social doctrine of the
(catholic) church" which immediately gave me the shivers (why the need to
tie it to the church??).

In other words, I think it is altogether likely that Duhalde will end up
"transando" (making a deal with) the establishment while trying to do
something about the disastrous social situation. My guess is that as soon
as it becomes obvious that it is really business as usual with a slight
social component, it will be over for him. People made it very clear in
past protests that the "modelo" (economic model, neoliberalism) had to end
and be replaced. Everybody from looters, the looted, middle class people,
and ayone in between clearly stated this. As soon as the IMF is back in
demanding their ludicrous balanced budget and "ajuste" (adjustment)
policies, there will be another cacerolazo. Heck, I would love to march
those people right back to the airport!

It is very interesting to note that last night's cacerolazo (pots and pans
banging protest) was loud and quite widespread throughout the city, not a
single TV channel reported it (unlike the previous protests). I think many
are scared that this direct democracy business is getting too scary. People
should have a say, but in the end, politicians should be alowed to make
their deals and continue business as usual.

However, I think the people have got a taste of their own power in recent
weeks (two presidents and a finance minister ain't bad!) and will not
easily give it up. Interestingly, for the first time in a couple decades
the word "pueblo" (people as a social actor) has started to be used again,
as opposed to the inocuous "gente" (just people, a group of individuals)
which had become widely used, even by the supposedly more aware center-left.

Alan