charles b has mentioned victor perlo's work. still can't find my copy
of superprofits and crises, but if i remember correctly--and it must
be a decade since I read through the book, which I found very
helpful--Perlo thought one of his most important contributions was
the analysis of what he specified as the profits of control that
comes from insider status. I think he would have had a field day with
Enron.
rb
ps william lear, thank you for bringing in galbraith and ferguson's
work which I find always illuminating and important. The argument
that I would want to develop is the importance not of the Keynesian
management of the economy but of the destruction of capital in the
war itself to the post War recovery of the economy. However, I would
not deny that Keynesian management can smooth over the business cycle
when the outlook for healthy profits is otherwise good (due say to
faster turnover as a result of US monopoly of markets and previous
devaluation and destruction of constant capital). But no posts from
me today.