At 22/01/02 00:11 +0000, I wrote:
>At 21/01/02 12:32 -0500, you wrote:
>>Ian M:
>>What forms of organizing of the 'managerial
>>class', let alone the larger working class of which they
>>are a subset, would it take to have them withdraw consent
>>to the system?
>>
>>^^^^^^^^
>>
>>CB: That's one of the $ 64 question, innit ?
>

>The managerial class would have to organize the social functions of the
>economy, as well as society itself according to a number of apparently
>abstract social principles that appear to stand above society, and the
>classes of which society is composed.

Managerial "class" is of course better called a stratum. Because they do
not have a defined role in relation to the means of production, they will
usually support the class in power, but can be erratic if they start
believing idealistically that their ideology consists of absolute values.
Arkward stratum, but now indispensible in view of the development of the
means of production.

There is no point in Marxists denouncing them repeatedly as lacking in
class courage. That should not be the height of ambition of a
marxist-orientated email list. But their intermediate class position makes
them an important swing factor in the relations of production, and the
struggle for communism.

Chris Burford