Thanks for the plug, Jim.  At another point in the manuscript, I mention in
passing the role of Frank Knight in developing the distinction between risk and
fundamental uncertainty.  Knight's claim was that entrepreneurship is the
specialty of people with an abnormal tolerance for plunging into the unknown.
The system depends on the supply of such entrepreneurs who will put their (or
other folks') money on the line, even when accountants haven't a clue what's
going on.  In the case of Enron, however, the murky accounting appears to have
been deliberate.  All debate over Knightian entrepreneurship aside, there is no
evidence of it here.  (The more that comes out, the more the whole business
begins to look like a vast, interconnected Ponzi scam.  Look at the story in
the NYT today about the "secret" investment fund marketed on Wall St., which
paid dividends out of all proportion to the actual underlying returns.)

Peter