Thank you, Rakesh.  I have repeated a similar theme in almost all of my
writings -- but with a little bit different twist.  Low profits suggests
heightened competition, which calls for more intensive investment.  This
investment goes unnoticed in the macroeconomic data because of the manner
in which investments is reported.

While gross investment may be higher during a boom, when profits are low
companies intensively invest in improving their old capital stock.

Here is a paragraph from my Keynes book:

During the Depression, firms weeded out inefficient plant and equipment,
creating a much newer capital stock (Staehle, 1955, p. 124).  By 1939,
one-half of all manufacturing equipment in the US that had existed in
1933 had been replaced (Staehle, 1955, p. 127).  Thereafter, business
produced as much output as a decade before with 15 per cent less capital
and 19 per cent less labour (Staehle, 1955, p. 133).  French productivity
also improved noticably during the Depression (Aldrich, 1987, p. 98,
citing Carr'e, Dubois and Malinvaud, 1972). Similarly, in the
recessionary period of 1982-4, only 20 per cent of West German
manufacturers replying to IFO's investment survey gave capacity expansion
as their motive for investment; 55 per cent cited rationalization (Anon.,
1985a, p. 69).
--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department