But minimills are not necessarily specialty steel producers.  They began
with low-end steel and remained that way until the 1980s when automotive
sheets were attempted with new technologies.  They succeeded up to a
point but the fixed costs per ton in a minimill was so low that the big
producers with their obsolete and/or retrofitted technologies could not
simply compete.  Minimills are amenable to specialty steels because of
small volumes, although even gigantic firms with plant capacities over 11
million tons can and do produce specialty steels (a chemical process extra
to the process of good basic steel).

Cheers, Anthony

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anthony P. D'Costa, Associate Professor
Comparative International Development
University of Washington                        Campus Box 358436
1900 Commerce Street
Tacoma, WA 98402, USA

Phone: (253) 692-4462
Fax :  (253) 692-5718