Fred writes:
> Charles, thanks for the clarity of your question.

>The short answer to your question is no, there is no reform - that I know
of - that will solve the fundamental problem of insufficient profitability.
According to Marx's theory, what is needed is one or more of the following:
a devaluation of capital (through bankruptcies, write-offs, etc.), lower
wages, and/or a reduction of unproductive labor.  Marx emphasized the
former.  <

yes, those are important, but it should be noted bankruptcies and write-offs
don't help the aggregate rate of profit unless the excessive capital
equipment is scrapped; a bankruptcy can simply redistribute the ownership of
existing capital equipment.

Lowering wages can make realization crises worse, especially given the
consumer debt load and rising unemployment rates these days. (There's no way
consumer spending is going to hold up if unemployment rises to 6.5%) The
ouster of unproductive workers -- i.e., one kind of lay-off -- also has this
effect, as does the speed-up of the aggregate growth of labor productivity
(output/(productive + unproductive labor)) that would result. Realization
problems are made worse if productivity rises relative to wages.

BTW, why aren't these "reforms"? The neo-liberals promise that their
"reforms" will abolish unproductive labor (as they define it).

> So the reform that you seem to be most interested in - higher wages - will
not solve this problem.  Rather, it will make this problem worse.  It would
be nice if Jim's theory of insufficient demand for consumer goods were
true.<

This is an excessively simple presentation of my theory. Among other things,
as I've said before on pen-l, I don't think anyone can simply wish for
higher wages and have their wish come true.

BTW, in my theory the lack of conflict between capital and labor over wages
(on a macro level) only applies in what I term an "underconsumption trap"
and then only on the macro level. In that situation, business investment is
blocked (by unused capacity, excessive debt, pessimistic expectations) and
other sources of aggregate demand such as government deficits and positive
net exports are ruled out. In this situation of low profits, individual
capitalists try to pull the iron out of the fire by squeezing workers. But,
given the blockage of other sources of aggregate demand, underconsumption
forces apply directly, so that the profitability situation _gets worse_ as
capacity utilization rates fall again. (There's micro/macro irrationality,
of the sort that Marx referred to in the GRUNDRISSE, p. 420, Martin
Nicholaus edition. It's also similar to the Keynesian paradox of thrift.) In
this situation, and only in this situation, a mass effort to raise wages
would force the capitalists to be more sane on the macro-level. However,
they would fight it tooth and nail, because capitalists only truly
understand micro-level rationality (i.e., the bottom line).

>Then there would be no inherent conflict of interests in capitalist
economies, and no necessary inverse relation between wages and profit, as
Marx (and Ricardo) emphasized.  It would then always be possible to achieve
higher wages and living standards for workers with endangering profits.
But, alas, I don't think this theory is true.  The inverse relation between
wages and profits becomes especially clear in times of recessions, like
today.  <

The posited inverse relationship between real wages and profits assumes,
among other things, something akin to Say's Law, i.e., that there are no
realization crises. (Ricardo fell for this "Law," but Marx did not.) But if
aggregate demand increases (for whatever reason) so that capacity
utilization rates rise -- e.g., as in the early 1940s or the 1960s -- it's
possible for both real wages and profitability to rise.

Further, ignoring realization issues, rising labor productivity allows the
real wage to rise without necessarily squeezing profit shares or the rate of
surplus-value.

In a recession, individual capitalists _think_ that there's an inverse
relationship between wages and profits. That's why they push down wages
(along with speeding up and stretching out work). But that's only a
microeconomic perspective (infected with what Marx termed the "illusions
created by competition" or "the fetishism of commodities"). On the
macro-level, a rise in wages could prevent a fall in consumer demand, as
explained above.

Jim Devine