I had said:> >

>It's analytical Marxist. Most AMs, like me, do not believe that Marx's
>value
>theory is more than a heuristic, and think that the important and true
>insights in Marx can be stated without the labor theory of value.
>
>jks

I have defended that formulation in What's Wrong with Exploitation?, Nous
1995, availabkle on the net in the old marxism spoons archive. However, I
argued that it did not require the labor theory of value in Marx's canonical
formulation to state it. More generally, the point is that capitalism is
exploitative, a point that _can_ be put without reference to any theory of
value at all--Roemer has an argument to this effect. I think that Roemer's
version loses a lot of the point of Marx's socological analysis, which, as I
say, can be maintained without holding that labor creates all value or that
price is proportional to value understood as socially necessary abstract
labor time.

I will add that Jim and Chris B have cast amniadversions on the reductionism
of "classical" analytical Marxism, which has largely been abandoned by its
founders (Erik Olin Wright excepted, also Alan Carling). But the points I am
making do not require reductionism of any sort. What remains of AM--and it
does survive in places like the journal Historical Materialism--is an
emphasis on clarity, precision, explicitness, and rigorous standardss of
argument, along with a totally unworshipful attitude towards traditional
formulations or classic texts. These are worth preserving.

Because AM as a  movement has evaporated, it is not worth beating up on or
defending. What is worth defending is what has always mattered--intellectual
honesty and care, the pessimism of the mind that must accompany optimism of
the will. Leave fundamentalism to the religious. If there is a scientific
dimension to historical materialism, it will survive. But it requires a
skeptical temperment.

jks