I wrote: >>... But since Marx was very much one who engaged in "ruthless
criticism of all existing" and major followers such as Luxemburg embraced
"doubt all," dogmatism isn't a necessary component of Marxism.<<

Justin Schwartz writes:>Never said it was. Religion isn't necessarily
dogmatic.<

Alan implied that religious-style dogmatism was part of Marxism (or at least
that was his interpretation of what you said); I was responding to him, not
you.

>>If we follow such folks as Georg Lukacs to see Marxism as defined by its
method of understanding the world (a style of questioning rather than a list
of pre-determined answers or "substantive propositions"), then dogmatism can
be avoided.<<

Justin: >Well, Jim and I have had this one out before. As a pragmatist, I
don't think that substance and method cab [can?] be seperated so neatly, <

Of course substance (answers) and method (questions) can't be separated in
practice (since there's a dialectic between the two). But it's good to
separate them analytically in order to clarify thinking.

The central part of L's method is materialist dialectics, which I interpret
following Levins & Lewontin (though Hegel had something to contribute). A
crucial aspect of dialectics is the rejection of reductionism -- and similar
one-sided methods -- in order to focus on the totality.

>and Lukacs, who coined the concept of Marxism as method, didn't believe it.
[you can read his mind?] He said that you could reject every substantive
proposition that MArx put forth and still be a Marxist, but if someone were
to propose rejecting the law of value, the desirability of the abolition of
markets, the central role of the working  class, and the priority of
economics, I don't think that Lukacs would regard him as a MArxist for a
minute, no matter how dialectical his thinking.<

I don't know what L said specifically, but (as I've said too many times) the
LoV makes sense as part of the method (at a different level of abstraction
than dialectics). I doubt that L cared about price theory. I bet that he'd
be willing to reject such substantive propositions as that prices gravitate
to values or that they gravitate to prices of production. (I know I do.)

The issue of the abolition of markets is sorta irrelevant, since Marx's
legacy is a theory of capitalism, not a theory of what to do afterwards.
(Those who rely on Marx alone on this issue have been flying blind.) I
looked for my copy of Marx's HOW TO SET UP A PERFECT PLANNED ECONOMY WITH NO
MARKETS IN THREE EASY LESSONS but couldn't find it. It turned out to be
Edward Bellamy's LOOKING BACKWARD, from a completely different tradition
(but one that seems to have influence the Bolsheviks). (The CRITIQUE OF THE
GOTHA PROGRAMME doesn't have _any_ details about abolishing markets.) BTW,
"we should abolish markets" isn't a substantive proposition of Marxism (like
"proletarian revolution is inevitable") as much as a programmatic
proposition. In any event, Marx was clearly much more interested in
abolishing capitalism than markets. (After all, the Nazis abolished markets,
but not capitalistm.)

The centrality of the working class is indeed central, but that's not
exactly a "substantive proposition." It's more of (1) a moral commitment,
along with (2) the idea that once the capitalist class system has taken hold
of all of society (i.e., the entire world), the class system will be
simplified to a simple class-against-class mode and (3) the idea that once
that happens, only the working class can abolish classes altogether. This is
not a substantive proposition of the sort that says "the rate of profit
always tends to fall."

Not only isn't it a "substantive proposition" (such as that
endogenously-created crises regularly shake capitalism) but the "priority of
economics" isn't exactly Marxist: Marx rejected the common divisions between
"economics," "sociology," "political science," "philosophy," etc. Marx
embraced the priority of human activity over thought in the historical
process, with production labor being central. This emphasis on human
activity comes from the materialist side of Marx's method.

Jim D.