The Times of India

THURSDAY, JANUARY 31, 2002

Nasscom sees $50 bn software exports from India

REUTERS WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 30, 2002

GENEVA: The head of India's top software industry body on Wednesday said
European growth would drive up the country's export revenues from software
and services by 30-35 per cent per year, valuing the export industry at $50
billion by 2008.

Phiroz Vandrevala, Chairman of India's National Association of Software and
Service Companies (Nasscom), told journalists the industry was sticking to a
prediction of 34 per cent average annual growth between 1998 and 2008.

"We believe that by the year 2008, India will be a $50 billion software
export industry," he said, adding that in the financial year to end March
2001, the industry exported around $6 billion.

"At this point in time... there seems to be no reason for us to revise our
target. Clearly a 30-35 per cent compound annual average growth rate in the
remaining seven years of our vision is achievable and sustainable."

The industry is expected to grow by around 30 per cent in the year to March
2002 -- a relatively poor performance.

"That is lower than the 45-50 per cent that we recorded consecutively for
the last four to five years... but a 30 per cent growth rate in the current
global economic climate is something to be extremely proud of," Vandrevala
said.

The industry has earmarked Europe as its fastest-growing market and expects
Europe's share of revenues to rise to 26 per cent in the year to March 2002
from 24 per cent last year.

"Internally within the industry we have set a target that by the year
2004/2005, we would like to see at least 30 per cent of our revenues coming
from Europe," Vandrevala said.

"For European corporations to be globally competitive, they have to source
from the most competitive locations. That process is beginning to happen and
that gives us the confidence that the European market will continue to
grow," he said.

India had not suffered too much from a slowdown in the North American
market, which traditionally accounts for around 65 per cent of revenues, he
said.

"We are affected because as the global spending in IT slowed down, our share
has slowed down, but at the same time a very large number of significant US
corporations that previously did not do any work with India are now looking
at India.

"In the long term we believe the economic pressure will give us significant
benefits," he said.

Copyright © 2002 Times Internet Limited. All rights reserved.