Let me see if I have this right: if the price of champagne increases and I switch
to beer, then substitution dampens the effect of inflation.  If I switch from a
calculator to a computer, then that change represents an increase in quality and
not an increase in price.  I recall Doug's describing the politics behind the
calculation of quality changes in gasoline because of the mandated additives.

Aside from the asymmetry, one good point might that the Federal Reserve might
have a harder time justifying tightening monetary conditions to fight inflation.
Or will they merely recalibrate their estimates of the mystical natural rates?

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321