one problem is that as you drink more booze, your tastes change (as your
judgement falters). As a result, it sure seems that some of my students get
_increasing returns_ to drinking, until they reach the tipping point
(tippling point?) and bow down before the porcelain god.
JD

Michael wrote,
> Let me see if I have this right: if the price of champagne
> increases and I switch to beer, then substitution dampens
> the effect of inflation.

Eric writes:>
I believe what is involved is the BLS distinguishing between the income
and substitution effects of price changes. As the price of champagne
increases you are hurt as you must now guzzle beer instead of champagne.
This saddens you; you are on a lower indifference curve.

Yet to get you back to the original indifference curve you were on
(before the increase in the price of champagne) you don't have to give given
enough income to return you to the exact same consumption bundle you had
before. Because of the relatively higher price of champagne you now _prefer_
to consume more beer than before. Due to the curvature of the indifference
curve the income you need to get to the same indifference curve as before is
less than needed to get you to the exact same consumption bundle. This
latter factor is how the new approach would lead to a lower rate of
inflation (measured by how much income you need to get to the same
indiffence curve as before).

This is what the BLS would say, I believe.<

Eric
neoclassical hat in hand.