In a message dated Sun, 24 Feb 2002  3:44:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Drewk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> This is a reply to Charles Brown's pen-l 22901.  (I hope to
> respond to Tom Walker's question in pen-l 22893 soon.)
>
> Charles asked me
>
> "Is it your position that the 'transformation problem' is a bit of
> a misnomer, because Marx's point was that prices deviating
> unsystematically from value is what capitalism must do because of
> exploitation ? So, that from the Marxist standpoint the failure to
> find a mathematical functional relationship between value and
> price is a confirmation of Marx, not a 'problem' for Marx's theory
> ?
>
> "The law of value is like a 'state' law. It is the violation of it
> by prices that results in crisis as a 'punishment' for being out
> of line with value proportions, the law."
>

> I agree with a lot of what you say, Charles.  But, no, this isn't
> really my position.  My position is that
>
> (a) the "transformation problem" is a NON-EXISTENT "problem,"
> because
>
> (b) the allegation of internal inconsistency in Marx's account of
> the transformation (of commodity values into prices of production)
> has never been proven, and
>
> (c) indeed the alleged proof of internal inconsistency has been
> disproved.
>

> I'll substantiate this below.  But first, let me continue with
> your question.
>
> Certainly, *one* point of Marx's was that "prices deviating
> unsystematically from value is what capitalism must do" -- because
> of exploitation, and because of other things.  One of these other
> things is that, owing to competition, businesses that exploit a
> lot of workers do not tend to rake in a higher profit per dollar
> invested than businesses that exploit few workers.  Marx's account
> of the transformation in Ch. 9 of Vol. III of _Capital_ deals
> specifically and only with this latter issue.
>
> Thus, I fully agree with your statement that, according to Marx's
> theory, "the violation of [the law of value] by prices ... results
> in crisis as a 'punishment' for being out of line with value
> proportions ...."  I also think this is a very important issue.
> However, this issue is not dealt with in Marx's account of the
> transformation in Ch. 9.   Ch. 9 doesn't deal with the
> relationship of prices to values *in general*, but only with the
> relationship of *prices of production* to values.  (Prices of
> production are hypothetical prices that would result in equal
> profit rates.)
>
> You suggest that there's been a "failure to find a mathematical
> functional relationship between value and price."  I agree that a
> function relating values to prices *in general* is an
> impossibility -- prices can differ from values in all sorts of
> ways and for all sorts of reasons.  But, again, Ch. 9 deals only
> with the relationship of values to prices of production, and it
> isn't the case that no functional relationship between values and
> prices of production has been found.  In Ch. 9, Marx himself
> [...]

I love this. May I ask one simply question? What section of capital created the
question of the tranformation problem as a mathmatical question needing final
resolution? Of course is was the sector connected with banking historically. The rise
of specualtive capital has tranformed the transformation question - from the
standpoint of the bourgeoisie, into the lap of the non-specualting sector of capital.
From the standpoint of the lower sections of the proletariat the issue is watching the
price, price-cost modes of expression polarized and ones standard of living go to
hell.

The search for labatory purity is the road to . . . .
This is the same reason the economist could not figure out southern slavery as a
commodity producing society - cotton entered the world of exchange, in a slavery form.

Melvin P.

Peace.