G'day all,

Just keeping Doug, and anyone else interested in Australia's miracle
economy, up to date on the way of things.  The little Ozzie battler (the
consoomer) is still throwing the Visa at  anything shiny, and the quiet
achievers (business) are investing in capital equipment again (it's
either that or more storage space for their inventories, I s'pose).
Anyway, let's hope the US don't cut Ozzie steel and agri-imports - let's
hope the lapsed house-building grants don't dent demand, let's hope
record residential debt doesn't slow those Visa cards, let's hope the
CAD doesn't push the Aussie down and interest rates up, let's hope
soaring insurance premiums don't close down small business, and let's
hope the Yen doesn't fall and weaken demand from a trading partner with
whom we do a quarter of our international business ...

Cheers,
Rob.

Current account blows out, jobs ads dip
CANBERRA, March 4 AAP|Published:  THE AGE Monday March 4, 5:04 PM

  Australia's current account deficit more than doubled to its highest
level in 18 months late last year while the jobs picture also weakened,
new
figures showed today.

  But there was better news on the retail front with shoppers lifting
their
spending for the eighth month in a row.

  Allowing for seasonal factors, retail trade rose 1.4 per cent in
January
to $14.09 billion, the Australian Bureau of Statistics said.

  Treasurer Peter Costello said the figures were very encouraging and
showed solid retailing growth in Australia.

  But a collapse in exports late last year helped deliver the biggest
current deficit in 18 months for the December quarter, the ABS said.

  The current account, a snapshot of all the financial transactions
between
Australia and the rest of the world for the quarter, blew out to $6.59
billion from $3.09 billion the previous quarter, itself a 20 year low.

  "The higher imports in the figure represent solid levels of
consumption
growth and a strengthening in business investment," Mr Costello told
reporters.

  Labor's treasury spokesman Bob McMullan said the jump in the current
account deficit, the biggest on record, raised concerns about the
economy's
direction in the second half of 2002.

  "With exports slowing and housing (expected) to slow, we desperately
need
those investment expectations to be realised or we're going to be
relying
entirely on strong consumption to drive growth in our economy," he said.

  Exports of goods and services outweighed imports in the September
quarter, but there was a $2.52 billion turnaround in favour of imports
in
the December quarter, the ABS said.

  This would cut December quarter GDP figure - to be announced Wednesday
-
by 1.5 percentage points, it said.

  Net foreign debt dipped to $326.12 billion in the December quarter
from
$328.42 billion previously, the ABS said.

  Meanwhile, job advertisements in major newspapers fell by 5.4 per cent
in
February - the biggest fall in 11 months - to an average of 20,762 per
week, the ANZ Bank said in its latest survey.

  But Mr Costello said there was still a net increase if the January
survey
was included.

  "Together with low home interest rates, the first home owners' scheme,

strong retail trade - that presents a good picture for the economy in
2002," Mr Costello said.

  "Australia will, I believe, defy US recession, Japanese recession,
south-east Asian countries in recession and continue to grow."

  ANZ chief economist Saul Eslake said the February fall was expected
after
January's strong gain, the fifth biggest in the survey's history.

  "Indeed, much the same can be expected to occur with the official
employment figures for February, after January's extraordinary 101,800
gain," he said.

  By Jim Hanna, Economics Correspondent

Copyright © 2002 John Fairfax Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.